Friday, 6 July 2012

Feature Friday: How I do ombre nails

So a couple of weeks ago I posted a NOTD showing blue ombre nails and was asked if I could do a more detailed post about how I did them (see the NOTD here) so here is my step by step how to, sorry they aren't quite as good as the blue.

Step 1- I placed tape around my nails, this isn't necessary but I'm not all too careful when I paint my nails and tend to end up in a mess also the sponging step can be a bit messy. I used Models Own Clear varnish as a base coat.


Step 2- I painted on my chosen colours using 2-3 coats as the pastel colours tend to be quite sheer, I used: Models Own Pastel Pink, Barry M Blue Moon, Barry M Foil, Beauty UK Smokey Lilac and Barry M Mint Green. 

Step 3- I painted my dark shades onto just over a third of each nail, I used: Beauty Uk Pink Explosion, Barry M Blueberry Ice Cream, Barry Silvery Lilac, Barry M Lilac Foil and Rimmel Sky High

Step 4- I used a make up sponge to graduate the dark shades into the light shades by painting the dark shade onto the sponge and gently sponging the colour on starting at the tips and working down the nail so that the colour faded out. I've seen a lot of tutorials that paint both the light and dark colours onto the sponge and sponge on the colour that way but I've hard trouble getting these to work for me. The make up sponge I used is from a huge pack from Poundland so if you're looking for sponges to use for ombre nails I'd definitely advise heading to a pound shop.


Step 5- It's always best to add a top coat but rather than use a normal shiny top coat I thought I'd see how a matte top coat looked over ombre nails and I'll be honest I don't think it looked too great apart from maybe on the lilac nail so next time I'll stick to a normal top coat.

So there we go my first ever tutorial, I hope it was at least mildly useful to some of you.

: ]

5 comments:

  1. Your nails look really cool, i especially love the purple nail. May have to give this technique a try!
    I really like the look of Matt nails, although I agree that only some colours look nice with it over them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was very useful indeed! thank you :)
    xx
    SurfAddictFashionista
    http://reapap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look so pretty, love the matt top coat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the idea!!i'll try to paint my nails like your!
    I invite you to visit my blog and if you want we can follow each other!
    Kisses and good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wondering how to do these nails for ages so I'm glad I came across this :D x

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment you lovely people write me and they honestly brighten my day, I do try to respond to any questions posted in comments but if you want a more detailed response don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.
: ]

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...