Thursday, 28 February 2013

100 Day No Spending Challenge

I've been wanting to do this for ages but have kept putting it off but now seems like a good time to start (well I'll be starting tomorrow as I want to start on the 1st of the month) as I really can't afford all of my spur of the moment after work beauty splurges, trust me all of those little impulse purchases really do add up. Anyway now is the perfect time to start as the next few months are going to be quite expensive; in March I have my graduation, a trip to the theatre, my anniversary and a trip away with Pete and April is just as bad I'm going to see a comedian, it's my moms birthday and I've got a weekend in Scotland for a wedding. I'm also still hoping to achieve my new years resolutions so I really need to start saving.
So to start this little challenge I thought I'd identify the things I think I'm spending too much on:
  • Nail varnish especially the glitter variety.
  • Make-up in general especially if it's doing the rounds on blogs.
  • Skincare and bath products I really don't need, my stash is a little ridiculous especially Soap & Glory things.
  • Buying things just because they're on offer, again Soap & Glory are big culprits here I'm a sucker for a 3 for 2 offer I have been known to go into Boots for something sensible like toothpaste and come out with three new shower scrubs.
  • Food, obviously food itself is quite necessary but I've been having really short shifts at work recently of about 4 or 5 hours so I don't get a break and once I'm finished I'm usually starving especially if it's a  10 til 3 shift and I end up in McDonalds or Subway.
  • Lush- by far my spending nemesis, my Lush stash is ridiculous.
  • Clothes.
  • Magazines.
So here are my rules for this challenge:
  • I will not buy any nail varnish at all for the 100 days.
  • I can only purchase make-up if it is an essential repurchase like foundation for example.
  • I will not buy any skincare or bath products unless it is a necessary repurchase.
  • I will cut down on my fast food intake and try to take food with me to work.
  • I will not buy any Lush products except for skincare items that are part of my everyday routine and only if I have run out of previous products.
  • I will avoid clothes shopping completely unless it's something I really need for example I may need to purchase some work shoes soon.
  • I will only purchase 3 magazines a month and will not waste money on weekly magazines, I will purchase Glamour, Company and Cosmopolitan and that is all. 
I'm sure there will be a couple of slips because hey no one's perfect but I'm really going to try and not spend my money on all these unnecessary purchases and I'll be keeping you all up to date with my progress with weekly updates on Saturdays starting next Saturday. I do plan on making one naughty purchase next week as I haven't had a chance to yet, I will be purchasing one of the new Marc Jacobs Limited Edition Spring Fragrances I'm currently leaning towards Oh Lola! Sunsheer Edition.

Sorry this ended up being much longer than I intended, kudos if you read it all.

: ]

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your spending ban!!

    http://samispoon.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your ban.
    I think sometimes just recognising what you've been splurging on like you've done here really helps :)xx

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment you lovely people write me and they honestly brighten my day, I do try to respond to any questions posted in comments but if you want a more detailed response don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.
: ]

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...