Friday, 5 June 2015

National Sun Safety Week- My Tips For Staying Safe In The Sun

This week is National Sun Safety Week and being ridiculously prone to sunburn I thought I'd share with you my tips for staying safe when you're out enjoying the sun hopefully coming our way sometime soon. This is an especially important issue to me as aside from being deathly pale I know how harmful the effects of the  sun can be, my dad actually had skin cancer years ago and had to have several melanomas removed. So if you do get a particularly bad sunburn keep an eye on any new moles or changes in size, shape or colour of any existing moles. Anyway here are my tips for staying safe in the sun. 
- Always wear sunscreen if you're planning on being out in the sun, I personally wear nothing less than factor 30 as I have been known to burn even when it's overcast but if you're not as deathly pale as me you could get away with factor 15.
- Don't forget your face, I hate putting sunscreen on my face, it's sticky and feels like I'm clogging my pores so if you can, find a foundation with built in spf, I use Dior's Diorskin Forever which is spf 25 to protect my face. Oh and don't forget little bits like the tips of your ears, the backs of your knees and even your scalp which is fairly painful to burn trust me and it looks pretty awful when it starts to peel. Also for the beauty conscious it's worth remembering that regular exposure to the sun prematurely ages the skin.
- If you can, try to stay out of the sun between 11am and 3pm when the sun's rays are strongest and wear a huge floppy hat and sunglasses to keep yourself cool and looking fabulous obviously.
- Remember to reapply sunscreen regularly especially if you're at the beach or a pool and have been swimming or find a sunscreen that's waterproof.
- Skincare aside it's really important to stay hydrated in the sun especially if you're anything like me and spend a lot of your summer with some kind of alcoholic drink in hand, I seem to spend most of my holidays reminding Pete to drink lots of water. The first time we went away he got heat stroke and spent a lot of time feeling sick because he didn't keep himself hydrated. 
- To keep yourself cool you can pick up a nice cooling face mist pretty easily these days I like to keep a little Avene Face Mist in my handbag. 


I was asked to write about this topic by Oscar, a health insurance provider in New York and New Jersey in the United States. They have a trusted team of nurses and healthcare experts on call to answer any questions members may have. They will even answer questions on how to protect your skin so if you're interested in learning more, check them out. 
If you have any other tips for staying safe in the sun please let me know in the comments.

: ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment you lovely people write me and they honestly brighten my day, I do try to respond to any questions posted in comments but if you want a more detailed response don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.
: ]

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...